Wednesday 24 January 2024

Francophone songs for teaching: an index

I love using songs when teaching French.  They help to introduce language and culture, they make a lesson memorable, and they can motivate learners to keep listening after the lesson.

TEACHING
Here's a sequence I can recommend:

  1. Listen to the song
  2. Follow a gap fill version - the gaps are all at the ends of the sentences, and the words needed are all listed alphabetically at the side
  3. Select the words to fill the gaps -  this could be done by guessing them in advance of hearing a second time
  4. Listen and perhaps pause at the end of each line
  5. Check answers against a version which has a translation
  6. Read aloud with a partner
  7. Only at the end - watch the video!  (This is the carrot!!)
  8. OPTIONAL: sing along / dance.
  9. IDEAL: Add to personal playlist and collect more from singers you like.

I find that this sequence works for all learners, and that comprehension of the words is not necessary to make it a worthwhile exercise.  Recognising sound/spelling is rewarding on its own.
Usually there is a natural desire to know what the words mean, but that can come later.

RESOURCES
I have created a section in my 'Miss Myers Learning French' Google site devoted to songs and on the home page of the section I have just published a link to a spreadsheet listing songs which I have used with my French classes. There are  more to come, including links to online exercises I have created using TeachVid and Textivate.  I have put examples below the spreadsheet.

The columns are as follows:
  • Artist  - usually full name
  • Title  - song title
  • Date  - approximate date (I found these in seconds via ChatGPT - they may not be totally accurate)
  • Topic  - my own judgement of topic - most of them are 'relationships' unsurprisingly!
  • Language  - if I have selected song for a specific language reason, I write it here
  • Resource link  - link to a document in my Google drive.  Usually (but not always) French / translation / gap-fill exercise 
  • Video  - usually referenced in document, but I hope to get around to putting direct link on the spreadsheet.
Hope someone finds this useful!  There are bound to be typos / mistakes, and I would welcome any corrections or advice.

I have written a separate blogpost with some ideas for other singers which may appeal to teachers and/or students here.

Thanks to Caroline Grant for inspiring me to do this!  All the best  to her  lucky students!

No comments:

Post a Comment