Sunday 20 November 2022

Setting up my Mastodon account

I am a committed member of ALL (The Association for Language Learning) and love meeting up with people who share my love of languages and language teaching, face-to-face.  Here's a link to join!

I also love making contacts and learning more via social platforms, and I blatantly use them to promote membership of ALL!  I make good use of Facebook and use Secondary mflresources and Languages in Primary schools as my 'go to' for thriving communities of people happy to share. Catherine Cheater is a wonderful Administrator and a lovely person.

I'm still on Twitter, and have found it OK as far as trolling/nasty stuff is concerned as there is a mute button, and you do not have to follow 'trending'!  As well as using Twitter to follow the great international  'mfltwitterati' community (thanks for introducing us all, @joedale !)  I also use Twitter to develop interests beyond language teaching (art, politics, music, fun, meeting native speakers!) 

I don't want to be left out if anything happens to Twitter, so thought I should join the bandwagon of those setting up accounts.  Twitter users seem to be putting their Mastodon profile name in their Twitter profile.. a good way of finding people!

I have found some helpful links about setting up a Mastodon account.  It took me about 30 minutes to faff around searching for posts on how to do it, then about 5 minutes to actually set it up once I had selected a server.  

Anyway, Here I am on Mastodon.  The photo is the one I nearly always use, and the header is one I took last week at Painshill Park - a wonderful 18th century landscaped garden not far form where I live.

I'll use this post to blog my experience!

SETTING UP 

Here are 4 posts which helped me:

Extras added later:

WHICH SERVER?

I searched for servers in 'all regions' and covering' 'all topics; on this page and I've chosen to go with Mastodon.world and see how it goes!  I liked the write up by the administrator (@ruud@mastodon.world)  in the 'about' section [Freelance Database Administrator - Father of 2 - Husband of 1 - Music collector - Pool player] and the 'world' part of the name appealed!  But it seems that you are not confined to one server .. you can communicate with others!  I filled in the profile and was accepted immediately.  Thank you 

I confess that I do not quite get how to verify an account, but I am hoping that by inserting a code in this post I will do this!

 Mastodon

HOW TO FIND / FOLLOW OTHERS?

Stuff I've gleaned: 

(1) To match to Twitter people, advice seems to be to put our Mastodon names in Twitter profiles. Then search in Twitter for Mastodon and filter by 'People you follow'. 

(2) By typing even part of the name in the search of your server - you find them + can follow, whatever server they use if you are searching within your server. 

(3) If you search outside your server, you get a code for their name which you then post into the search of your server.

(4)  Just follow people followed by other like-minded people!  Click on their 'following' and 'followers' and add


Hope  this helps! 


1 comment: